Sunday, January 31, 2010

What About Us?

I have a feeling this post isn't going to make much sense at all, but tonight was the Grammy's Tribute to Michael Jackson and, to be quite honest, the whole experience has left me emotionally drained. I thought I had prepared myself for it, but after seeing it, I was wrong. Actually, I would have been OK if Prince and Paris hadn't made an appearance. As a fan, growing up with MJ we became accustomed to never seeing his children. Which was alright, but as true fans, we understood his reasons for keeping them hidden. Honestly, I refuse to judge Michael for anything he ever did, because who can know what it's like to live his life? So, now that Michael is gone, it's just absolutely shocking to me to see his kids out and about in public and on award's shows. Not only is it shocking to see them, it's shocking not to see Michael. Once again we have to relive the horrible fact that he's not here any longer...and in return his kids are making appearances in the public eye. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a bad thing that Prince and Paris were there. They are growing up far to fast, far faster than Michael would have liked, but that's unavoidable once you've experienced the death of a parent. Soon they will be making decisions on their own and deciding what they want to do with their lives, just as they would have done had Michael been alive. But without him it just seems so horribly wrong. I can just picture them watching him preform those concerts last fall. All he wanted was to perform for his kids....and he never got the chance. I can't imagine being Prince, Paris, and Blanket and living with the "What if Daddy?" question. I did love that their cousins accepted the award with them. Michael loved his family and was close with his nephews. I'm sure he was smiling happily at seeing his wonderful family all together on stage.

The tribute done by the singers was also inspiring. I was so happy that they chose to do a song that really spoke to Michael's message, instead of just his otherworldly talent. We all know he's the greatest entertainer of all time, there was no need to wow everyone with dancing and a medley of his greatest hits. Usher, Smokey Robinson, Carrie Underwood (wasn't happy to see her there...), Celine Dion, and Jennifer Hudson did a phenomenal job of making Michael's message heard. Earth Song says it all. And what so powerful about it was using Michael's own voice, almost like he was there. I kept finding myself looking for him on stage, his voice was there but his body wasn't. I'm sure he was singing right along with the others, just from Heaven.

I still can't decide why this effects me the way it does. There is a purpose. I do believe that Michael was sent here to deliver a message, to be an instrument of God, but I wonder what I am supposed to do with the passion and energy he has given me?



Lionel Richy with Paris, Blanket, and Prince--Grammys 2010

No comments: